Saturday 12 November 2011

FW11 trends | All about my platforms


Stuart Weitzman platform ankle boots (Photo: Footnotesonline)

Welcome back blog readers! As you know, I was planning on being busy until Monday with my son's birthday-related activities. But guess what? Today the school called and he has come down with a fever. We thus had to postpone the party until next week, and I will be spending the next couple of days at home. I do not mind either of these things, but I hate when he is sick.

So here I am, trying to keep myself busy while I wait a bit to go to sleep to make sure his fever has come down. I realized our series on Fall trends has been missing a post about shoes, and this is the perfect moment to fill this gap. I have left shoes for last because, as you may remember, I have had a foot injury since earlier this year. Whatever its cause, the result is that I had pretty much no comfortable shoes to wear among those I have brought along from Canada. At the beginning, I have tried to see how could I wear them anyway. The result is that I have spent much of September wearing either one pair of Geox sneakers I had bought during the summer in Belgium or one pair of Prada peep-toes I have had for three years.

In the end, I decided to start fresh and I compiled a list of the essential footwear I needed for everyday use, taking into account the Fall trends:

1. Heels: this season is all about sky-high heels. Even in normal conditions, I am not used to wear them, and because of my foot injury I cannot wear ballerinas either (which are always in fashion and have saved most of my days in the past few years). I settled for mid-heels, in the form of a pair of black patent Jimmy Choos that I have bought on sale at Saks during our last trip to the US, and I still seem to be able to wear. I have then added a pair of Valentino Rockstud neutral patent mid-heels, which I have had my eyes on for a long while.

Valentino "Rockstud" mid-heels (Photo: Divanee)

2. Mocassins: they are the other pillar of the FW11 footwear closet, to match the androgyne trend in clothing. I have tried several pairs and decided that I am not the mocassins type though. Yet I shopped my closet and found a pair of Joie taupe Oxford flats I got last year, which I find still quite comfortable.

3. Platforms: according to my super-trendy, mother-of-two best friend, this season it is all about platforms. Obviously, since she told me, I have really been keeping my eyes open for a good pair. I stumbled upon a pair of Stuart Weiltzmann boots in a nearby store (pictured above), and I have to say that I am in love. They are the most comfortable pair of boots I have, and they make me feel awfully tall.

4. Sparkle and precious metals: Metallics are another big trend this season. Around Fashion Week, Miu Miu sparkle heels were deemed the unofficial shoe of the event by many observers, and in Milan I could see only people wearing silver sandals. Buying sandals in September was obviously not an option, and I cannot wear sky-high heels such as Miu Miu (actually, let's not kid ourselves, even if they would have a lower heels, when would I have ever have the occasion of showing them off?), so I have been hunting for a pair of mid-heels. That has proved and almost impossible task though!

Miu Miu FW11 sparkle heels (Photo: Looking Fab at Every Age)

5. Boots: if you have bought a pair of over-the-knee boots in the past couple of years, hold on to them dearly and wear them proudly. I will do so with my Giuseppe Zanotti black ones. You may want to invest in a pair of motorcycle boots (best if short), which are also all the rage this season. And for the big chill... A pair of Rockstud Moonboots, of course!

Valentino "Rockstud" Moonboots, also available in white (Photo: Valentino)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...