Wednesday 28 March 2012

On repelling men and moms




Do you know that 84% of moms in a recent online survey by TodayMoms reports to have been "meangirled" by another mom?

This result has got me thinking. I recalled a conversation I had in September with my mother-of-two best friend. "What do you want me to do about it, my husband is Sicilian", she had said when I praised her for wearing high-heel shoes. She was referring to the fact that men from Southern Italy are known to like women who dress feminly. At the time I remeber my mind immediately going back to an interview with Leandra Medine, blogger of the famous Man Repeller, which I had read. While we all agree that love should go beyond appearances, I do not like the alternative of either dressing for a man or dressing for myself. Why should your companion not be allowed an opinion, positive or negative, about what you wear? As my mom would say, sometimes the best assessment on your look comes from someone who can see you at 360 degrees.

Yet I feel less confident when other moms' opinion of my style is concerned (this includes my own mother's opinion, obviously). Do you remember the "momsters" in the movie "I don't know how she does it?" (which I recently reviewed in this post). They are the impeccably-dressed moms who can do anything, from baking the perfect pie to sewing the best Halloween costume. They are not overwhelmed, stressed, and constantly juggling. Even when they are, they do not show it. Who has not, at least once, wished to be that mom? Who has never feared their judgement and enjoyed their look of approval?

Now here's my theory: even if in your 20s you were a hard-core man repeller, you will never want to be a mom repeller. Don't you agree?


Photo: Man Repeller's Leandra Medine, via Ice Cream for Breakfast. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...