Wednesday 25 April 2012

How has motherhood changed my style: Jane Potrykus



Hello everyone! As I had announced earlier today, to celebrate our first "blogiversary" I'm beginning a series of interviews with influential mom bloggers. The topic: how has motherhood changed their personal style (a defining issue for Fashion for the Rest of Us, as you may remember from this post).

Jane Potrykus is the blogger behind Simple+Pretty. Her wonderful posts are curated to fit a "utilitarian luxe aesthetic", and I think that "minimalism" is the word that could best define her style. We share many favorite designers, such as Christian Dior and his "no-nonsense elegance", The Row's "uber sophistication", as well as ACNE, Lanvin, and Celine. When I asked her, she indicated that this Madewell look "pretty much sums up my look". I am honored to begin this interview series with her answers. Thank you Jane!




---

Q: Tell us a bit about yourself.

A: I live in suburban Chicago with my husband and 14-year-old son. I love to travel (but hate to fly: weird, I know), live for fashion, and have become (more than) a bit of a foodie.


Q: As you know, I'm very interested about fashion and style. I feel that motherhood has fundamentally changed the way I relate myself to both these concepts, and I am always curious to hear about other moms' opinions about this issue. Do you feel that motherhood has changed your style? In what way?

A: I would say that motherhood had more of an impact on my style once my son was older. The transition has been slow and subtle. But at this point, let's just say that there are no low-rise jeans in my closet.


Q: Do you have a mom uniform? How does it change, if at all, in different contexts (such as going to work rather than to a playdate), and across seasons?

A: I have a uniform: in the fall/winter, it's jeans with a tshirt + cardigan. in the spring/summer, it's shorts with a tee + cardigan. Of course, I have skirts + dresses + fun accessories, which I'll pull out for lunches or shopping or travel, but for most events, like carpool or going to my son's baseball and soccer games, the uniform is perfect.


Q: Do you have a fashion mom icon? Who do you think is the greatest inspiration for your sense of style?

A: I don't really have a fashion mom icon, but for terms of style, Carolyn Bessette-Kennedy defined classic minimalism for me.
A good sense of my style is evident through my pinterest picks, http://pinterest.com/janep/fashion/


Q: What do you feel is the biggest challenge for moms who want to be fashionable and have a great style?

A: Dressing too young. Nothing more tragic than trying to wear the same styles that your teenagers do.


Q: Who is your favourite mom blogger? What kind of blogs do you like the most?

A: My favorite blogs transport me to places I miss, (California/Boston/London/Charleston) or evoke emotion through beautiful photography. Regular reads include Peter Bagi's sprk, Everyday Musings, on bluepoolroad, the blue hour (I was consumed with it while Brian Ferry was living in London), the Kinfolk Magazine blog, and always, 3191 Miles Apart.

---

P.S. I'd love to know how motherhood has changed your style as well! If you'd like to share your story, please do not hesitate to send me a message.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...