Monday 19 August 2013

I wore a dress




Hello everyone! Did you have a good weekend?

If you follow me on Instagram, you know that yesterday my baby boy was baptized. This is why 11 days (gulp) have passed since my last post! We have had family and friends staying with us for the event, and the party itself to organize, so I have been busy.

It was the first big party I have ever organized. Twenty adults, twelve kids, and two toddlers. Four things saved me. First, entertainment for the kids. I had hired a magician, and it was perfect. The show lasted an hour, and kept all kids mesmerized until the time for the cake. Second, buying most of the food. The ceremony ended at noon, and when we arrived at home shortly afterwards everybody was famished. The sushi I served for appetizers bounced off the serving plates. It calmed down people's hunger just enough that everyone was still hungry for the main course. Third, let our friends help. This is the part I always struggle with. In Italy, parties are thrown by one and one only Host, for a group of Guests. The roles of the Host and the Guests are well-defined, and letting even one Guest bring something to be served would be considered propostuos. The years I spent living abroad have taught me that there is no shame in accepting help, because generally those who offer it are happy to do so. Yesterday we had two delicious salads made by my housekeeper, an authentic cheese plate brought by my French friend V., and my favorite cupcakes made by my friend C. for the kids. Last but not least, I had chosen my outfit well in advance -- the dress I bought during our summer holidays in Italy.

I hope my experience will help you next time you throw such a big party!

P.S. I am still waiting for the official pictures from the event, so stay tuned...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...