Saturday 20 September 2014

Last night I cooked

   



Hello everyone! How are you doing with cooking family meals now that school is back in session?

I am in the constant quest for inspiration, but I find that suggestions out there can be quite off the wall. Like the shrimp linguini recipe that was supposed to get kids used to hot pepper (I wish I had bookmarked it to show you I am not making it up). My husband says I should stop looking, because my cooking is always a crowd pleaser, especially with kids (this is why we have a hard time having leftovers for the following day). For instance, last night I cooked a simple pasta al sugo (pasta with tomato sauce). It takes 30 minutes from start to finish, and it has the right balance of carbohydrates, proteins and vitamin. Here it goes (serves 4).

1. Start with a soffritto, that is, a mix of carrot, celery, and onion, all finely chopped. (I do not weight ingredients; here I use 1 stick of celery, 1 medium carrot and half an onion).

2. Lightly coat the bottom of a non-stick pan with olive oil (this is key), and stir fry the soffritto for no more than a couple of minutes.

3. Add 1 bottle of tomato puree (use one that has only one ingredient: tomatoes. It may seem obvious, but if you start paying attention you'll realize that there is always more than this ingredient in most cases).

4. Lower heat and let simmer for 20 minutes.

5. Meanwhile, cook the pasta.

6. Add sauce to the cooked pasta. Add also a small cube of butter (to make it creamier) and abundant parmesan cheese.

7. To make it more interesting for the grown ups, you can also add olives and a few cubes of buffalo mozzarella (like I did).

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...